If you’re someone like me, the music component of your phone is perhaps the most frequently used feature, while occasionally streaming the latest videos on other apps. As awesome as these phone attributes are, we often come face to face with the much infuriating ‘buffering’ icon. Whether your range is weak or you have absolutely no access to the internet, the act of passing time then grows into boredom, especially if you’re on the move.
Wouldn’t it be easy or convenient to just be able to listen to a song or watch a video without staying connected to the www? Plus, its not just about the unavailability of the internet. Data packs are now more expensive than ever! Downloading media can save you quite a few bucks. But unless you have subscribed to a paid streaming service such as the YouTube Premium (erstwhile YouTube Red) or Spotify, downloading content and playing it on your terms, can be a slightly complicated process.
Thankfully, the modern-day tech allows us to convert videos into various formats using third-party software apps. This is super easy to do on our computers and you have perhaps even tried it for yourself. But what about smartphones? Fortunately, there are a few good video converters available for mobile phone users. TubeMate is one such awesome service; and in this article, we’re going to talk about it in detail.
What is TubeMate?
Before we move onto the “How’s” of TubeMate, let’s take a quick glance at what this app really does.
Even though TubeMate has been around for a few years, its popularity rose visibly only earlier this year. If you’re unfamiliar, this app helps you download videos and audio files from YouTube, for offline viewing on Android devices. As far as the download quality is concerned, you’ll get several resolution options such as HD, SD, and lower. Furthermore, you can get the content converted into a bunch of formats including MP3 and FLV. TubeMate boasts of an extremely sleek design and a snappy interface, while taking up very little space on your handset. What’s more? This app comes with a “browsing” option, enabling users to discover videos more easily.
Perhaps the only drawback about this software is that it isn’t compatible with iOS phones. So if TubeMate isn’t for device, scroll all the way down to our “Other Alternatives” section. Another thing that we weren’t quite happy with is the navigating experience; it could definitely be a lot smoother.
You may also like these best free movie apps for Android users.
How to Download/Install TubeMate?
As we stated earlier, TubeMate is only accessible to Android users. While this will cater to a large segment of the audience, the sad news is that you cannot get it officially on the Google Play Store. Hence, you’ll need to use third party sites in order to download and install the app.
You’ll find a ton of websites providing download links for various versions of TubeMate. Unfortunately, many of them are simply fake and may cause harm to your device. Follow our guidelines to ensure that the app you have downloaded is genuine.
- First of all, download TubeMate Apk from Uptodown.
- Hit the Download button. The download will begin automatically and notify you once it has been completed. This is extremely fast and easy, especially for Android 3.0 or less users.
- Alternatively, you may first download the TubeMate APK file to your computer (Windows 7) by using the same link mentioned above and then, connect your Android (4.0+) to your computer. The TubeMate file will be seen as a removable driver. All you need to do is copy it into a folder on your phone that can be located easily.
- Once you have downloaded the apk file to your phone, go to any file manager and look for for TubeMate Apk there. Click on it to install it.
- Make sure that you mark the “Unknown Sources” option as checked from under Settings>>Security, on your Android phone. Otherwise, the installation process would fail.
How to Use TubeMate?
Using TubeMate is literally, a child’s play. Note that this app is specially created to get media off of YouTube. You cannot download videos or audios from other sources. Depending upon whether you wish to download videos or MP3 files, follow the step-by-step guide as mentioned below.
For Downloading Videos:
- Launch the TubeMate app on your phone.
- You’ll notice that the app uses YouTube as a cover, with a similar looking interface.
- Search for the video you wish to download.
- Click on the video.
- You’ll be prompted to choose either download or watch. Select Download since that’s what we are addressing here.
- Click on the green arrow. You’ll find this at the bottom of the page.
- You’ll then be offered different video resolution options. Select the quality in which you wish to watch the desired video. Bear in mind that the quality and format option availability will depend upon the source of the particular video.
- Once you have selected the format/video quality, the download process will start. You can see its progress under notifications.
- The downloaded videos are normally stored in MP4 formats by default, in the videos folder.
For Downloading MP3 Files:
The steps for downloading MP3 files is quite alike the ones mentioned above, except a few differences. To make it simple, we’ve still listed all the steps one by one.
- Open the TubeMate app.
- Search for the video you wish to convert into MP3. Click on it.
- When prompted whether to watch or download, select download.
- Click on the green arrow button located at the bottom of your screen.
- Now, instead of choosing a video resolution, scroll down and select “Download as MP3”.
- You’ll find the file under the folder named MP3 on your device.
- If you wish to convert a video that you have previously downloaded using this app, simply navigate to Menu>>Download. You’ll find all the past downloads. Tap on the video that you want to convert to MP3. You’ll get two options – Save as Mp3 and Convert to MP3.
- We would recommend that you select the “Save as MP3” option since it works well across devices and saves the video as an MP3 file.
- If you choose “Convert to MP3”, it will ask you to download another app through which it’ll convert the file format. We’d suggest that you get the MP3 Media converter from Play Store.
Whether you’re a non-Android user who can’t access TubeMate, or an Android user looking to try something different, we’ve got a few suggestions for good YouTube downloader apps.
- FrostWire – supported on Android, Windows, Apple, Linux, and Ubuntu platforms. You can log on to their official website to know more.
- 4K Video Downloader – supported on Windows, Linux, and MacOS systems. You can get it from 4kdownload.com
- VidMate – supported on Android. You can download APK file of it from various sources.
- Ddownr (via web-interface) – supported on most browsers. Log on to their official website to use it. Note that it has no separate apps for smartphones.
- iTube Studio – this works across several platforms including Windows, Android, iOS, and Mac. Though it offers a free trial, you’ll eventually have to purchase it since this is a highly superior downloader.
As mentioned earlier, TubeMate is extremely simple to use and can be downloaded on practically any Android device. You can decide whether to transfer the apk file from your PC or download it directly on your smartphone, depending upon your convenience. In case you’re using a different website for downloading the app, make sure that it is a genuine one. The app is not free of bugs. However, it does come pretty handy. If you’re not an Android user, try using one of the alternatives mentioned above.
Let us know how you liked using TubeMate in the comments down below!